Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Birthday Wish


Here’s to a great woman, my mother in law, who has a heart of gold and a smile like sunshine.  I’ve known “Mom” for over 30 years now.  I can remember the first time we met.  She was visiting Rob just after we started to date and I walked in to his place and there was this striking woman in the kitchen.  Rob had always described her as “hot”.

I can remember being intimidated by this strong soul in the beginning but over the years we’ve become incredibly close and she is near and dear to my heart.  Here is a woman who was married for 62 years to a man with triple the determination of my own Rob . . . she was obviously the glue that held together a family of strong personalities with undying commitment.

She always managed to proceed with style and grace.   A heart of gold, she has shown unlimited generosity over the years and can be counted on no matter what.  She gives herself selflessly to her family, her church and her commitments.

So, Mom, Happy Birthday.  I can’t remember the last time we were not with you to celebrate so this is particularly hard.  Just know – you are no further away than my thoughts and I’m sending wishes for a beautiful day and a year of the same. 

With that, I pass the baton to Rob to add his thoughts . . .

To You, Mom, Because you . . . 

Brought me into this world,
Read me my first book,
Took me to my first day at school,
Wore your leopard stole to my parent teacher conference.
Gave me my first shaving kit,
Let me cut the milk box into a boat,
Didn’t get mad when the parakeets flew away,
Let me drive the bulldozer with Tom.
Watched us build the tree fort,
Smiled at the daffodils I picked for you,
Offered protection when Dad was mad,
Told me everything would be okay.
Sent me to college – with spending money!
Answered the phone when I called from jail,
Told me it was time to grow up.
Came to help patch up my broken wrist,
Provided more than I deserved – from housing to cars to even a boat.
Conveniently forgot about money I owed.
Always were there when I needed you – and still are!

You have far more qualities than I could ever describe –
Happy Birthday, Mom.  You are the best in the world!
With love from Rob

2 comments:

  1. Hey Guys!
    I heard you've met Windward - small world huh. I want to email you...can you email me with your address?
    Jess and Dave
    s/v KIANDA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this entry to 'mom'...how touching~ ;)

    ReplyDelete