Wednesday, January 11, 2012

To those we love . . .



Returning to Key West and setting anchor, we headed out right away to do a couple errands while Justin and gang wandered around town before experiencing Mallory Square for sunset.  We grabbed a loaf of bread from our favorite bakery, went to our favorite little gourmet grocery and bought a couple of items including Rob’s now daily quart of chocolate milk and hit the post office to see if we had any surprises waiting for us. 

The plan was to re-gather after sunset for dinner aboard Moonshadow to include Will’s apparently famous spaghetti and homemade sauce.    I made some roasted veggies, our yummy bread and my version of a caesar salad and we waited for word to come that the time was right. 


Mark - you make us reMARKable!
This is about when we checked in with Justin to hear that he just learned that his father passed away Monday morning.  Although he had been suffering for quite some time with cancer, Justin had just spent Christmas with him in Connecticut and had no idea that his time was so close.  Upon checking news from home, I learned Monday afternoon that my dear dear friend, Mark, was in kidney failure and had posted his goodbye message on facebook before slipping in and out of consciousness awaiting his entrance into what is to come.   

So dinner that night included raising a toast to life, to those we love, to what is ahead.  Mark said to me when we met before we left – that he believed that when he was gone, there would be a “Sparky of Marky” that would remain in the skies.  I’ll always remember that. 

And it brought to mind my dad and Rob’s dad and our friend Craig and all of the others who we’ve loved and lost to cancer in recent years. 

And it bears noting the impression they’ve made on our lives and memories they’ve left with us.

I am so proud of my boys!
And it reminds me to STOP for the sunset each day . . .  and to tell my kids and family (MOM!) and friends how much they’re LOVED . . . and to be quiet and listen when the wind talks.  

It reminds me to cherish the little things, to appreciate what I have and to notice as life makes its way each day.

So here’s to those who have gone ahead.   
And here’s to those whom we love and cherish.  
And here’s to you and me.  I love you all . . . God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment