Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Home is . . .


We had another adventure yesterday.  You may have caught my moody post several days ago before I pulled it from the web, but we were on standby all weekend regarding a lawsuit we’ve been involved in.  Word had it after our attorney returned from vacation last Friday that we may need to be in court this week . . . so we sat waiting.

Yesterday morning the word came in at 11am that we would be expected in court at 9am on Tuesday . . . in Charleston!  We were kind of expecting the news and when it arrived we were tutoring our neighboring boat friends Jim and Robin on Lameroo on how to keep our batteries charged up.  We jumped into overdrive and threw a few things into a bag, grabbed the trash and dirty laundry, dumped the most perishable items from the frig into a cooler bag and threw it all in the dinghy in the 25 knot winds blowing.

We called a cab from onshore and headed to the airport to the rental car desk where we met the most lovely Sherry at Budget who helped us with a great deal and got us on the road in no time.  And we started driving.  After eight plus weeks on a boat, this was quite the shock.  Neither of us had been behind the wheel in months and the stress of the whole situation felt beyond foreign.  Packing was so unfamiliar that I managed to forget even the most basic items . . . like a jacket for cooler weather and UNDERWEAR!

To make a long story short – after seven hours of reviewing depositions and plugging forward, we received the call that the plaintiffs had agreed to a settlement.  Our attorney was delighted and said “Turn the car around and head back down, it’s over!”

This is when the reality hit me.  Although the lawsuit was a totally unwelcome and unpleasant reality, the change in plan and the resulting headway towards “home” took me as being surprisingly unwelcome.  I had secretly planned every minute of our intended 6 day stay with enjoying my boys, surprise visits to my friends and getting logistical details taken care of.  So when we did, in fact, turn around – I felt a distinct drop in my mood.

How do you like the red one?!   
The word “home” has become a confusing term.  I told friends I was heading HOME again and we both weren’t quite sure which way that meant!  It’s taken me the whole day to make the transition BACK into the cruising lifestyle and once again, it’s taken its hold of me – wandering town and stopping in wherever the mood inspired including this pet store where we had a blast with the multitude of bird personalities. 
 
Guess the saying will always hold true -
"There’s no place like home”.   
Wherever that is!


No comments:

Post a Comment