Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Value of Family and Friends

The past two days have flown by.  Our friends Patricia and Jay have been here with us sharing our crazy adventure.  Yesterday morning, we moved Moonshadow from her anchorage off downtown Key West to settle into a mooring where we could ride out the windy front approaching from the north.  We were off the anchor at 7ish am with the gorgeous sunrise and were around Fleming Key at the mooring field less than an  hour later. Our activities were more or less uneventful - exploring and doing the consummate touristy things we all do in a new area - but having close friends nearby was such an incredible treat.


You can suspect that there are bound to be challenges faced when a couple embarks upon an adventure such as ours.  Both of our individual lives left behind, we are left with each other as total companions.  That's not a bad thing, we have been companions for 30 years now, but sole companions is a different issue.   I am hearing a lot more details of boats and sports while Rob somehow has to field my ever emotional stream of consciousness.  I have to say that we've been up to the challenge so far.  We've had more laughs in the past month than I can remember in ages; we resolve discrepancies and disputes quicker than ever before; we move in familiar patterns in our small space . . . we've done well.
 
Patricia and Jay's visit came at such a good time.  With Key West not offering up the addition of any new cruising sailor friends (there's almost no other cruising boats in town!), having them here to bring in the New Year really held my melancholy tendencies at bay.  And the calls from my boys are priceless to me.  What a joy to see their name pop up on my phone!   My mom and sister round out the mix - all providing my essential tie to "home".
 
After setting Moonshadow on her mooring we spent another day wandering Key West yesterday finding the boys a good place to watch the USC/Nebraska bowl game while we did a bit of shopping on Duval and the surrounding area.   The guys were happily grounded in "The Krawl off Duval" while Patricia and I found the most amazing vegan lunch at "The Cafe" across the street with the best carrot cake I've had (no eggs/butter/or even cream cheese?!) and homemade chai tea to die for.   I could fall in love with this place!  The weather finally hit late afternoon and we headed to their hotel to regroup, deciding that Rob and I would spend the night there vs trying to get back out to the boat in the newly kicked up wind.

Today they headed back toward home while we loaded up the dinghy for the ride to the boat.   So, remember that weather I mentioned?  Yeah.  What a mess.  We don't have our dinghy technique perfected which was more than proven on the ride out.  We were thoroughly drenched before we got even halfway out when we readjusted our positions and made better and drier headway.   Ah, another lesson learned.  But we got out to find the wind generator happily charging our batteries and we battened down the hatches for a rockin' not aboard.

Cozily below while rockin' above, I am thankful for the memories of the past few days with dear friends and the calls from my boys that came just as we returned to the boat.  I'm thankful for the notes on Facebook and the emails from friends and calls to and from my Mom and other family, and skype and voicemail treats from time to time.  You all are most precious to me.  Thanks for coming along for our ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment