Monday, December 19, 2011

What Day Is It?!

You can imagine that with all of the preparations and then the new-ness of this adventure how every day details could get away from us, right?  Well, we were riding some kind of crazy wave trying to get ready to push off the dock and "get outta dodge".  If you've been reading these blogs, you know that we haven't been bored to date either.  Honestly, I haven't read more than a couple pages at a time in a book since we took off - and that's only when I climb in bed.  So when Kev and Judith left town and we found ourselves needing to stay put for at least a few more days to resolve maintenance issues and wait out weather, I guess things settled down enough for me to pay attention to the DATE!

We're all here because we're not all there - Had to Laugh!
Apparently while we've been whirling out of control, the world has continued to turn and Christmas is still happening . . . in a WEEK!   Rob has been busy trying to find the elusive air leak in the fuel system for days and I've found myself at a total loss on how to create my kind of Christmas while floating in an unfamiliar place with no real mode of transportation!  This sent me into a seasonal funk and I found myself homesick?!  Now where did that come from?  I called my mom and my sons to shake off some of the blues and worked on making my little Christmas goodies the rest of the night.  I even turned on my first Christmas music of the year - geesh, how have I missed all this?!

We did manage to find our way to solid ground and walked several miles to get to the West Marine to get Rob's supplies and then wandered back to the dinghy dock where we used our $10 dinghy docking fee credit for a beer.   Cute place, this raw bar, with a bartender with a severe mohawk and a great attitude.  Since they charge for docking the dinghy but then give you credit at the restaurant, I think we'll be regulars . . . today it was boiled shrimp. 

Realizing I really have one day to get stuff in the mail got me moving today and we headed out after Rob FINALLY found the source of that darn leak (a cracked compression fitting on the back of the fuel tube in one of the tanks - don't I sound like I'm learning this stuff?!)  So I found a post office and worked my way through my "list" until I was satisfied that I could make a respectable showing.


Side note - there are lots of coconuts floating in the water around here and we picked one out of the river today.  I plan on cracking this beauty open tomorrow and seeing if it's edible.  Kinda wonder with it floating in likely polluted salt water but have to try!  Don't you love fresh coconut?

So back to reality - it's been really a very average two days.  Almost wouldn't know we're in Fort Lauderdale any more because we've been so studious here.  I'm looking forward to getting past some of these projects and exploring new frontiers again.  The next projected jaunt is a day sail to Coconut Grove on Thursday.  We'll surely keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment