Friday, December 9, 2011

Is this for real?!

Honestly, in my life I cannot remember ever doing what I did to start my day . . . okay, so it's cold outside and we don't run the heat at night because it causes condensation and uses up precious gas cylinders that we don't have in abundance.  I woke up this morning at anchor off Cumberland Island and felt so cozy.  I actually grabbed my book and started my day leisurely working my way further into a good read.  Seriously, I've NEVER done anything like that!  And with that single act, my life now feels different!



It really has been a fine day.  Cumberland Island has always been playing in my imagination.  I've heard about it over and over and saw it as we passed on the highway, but until today, I've never made it there.  We had a nice, slow pace getting going and had to use some area of our brain that apparently wasn't easily accessible when trying to put the silly harness on the dinghy motor (but that's a story in itself!).  Finally getting settled, we dinghy-ed over to the Sea Camp Dock and headed out to see what this island had in store.
 


Here's the thing - if you haven't been to Cumberland, it's definitely worth the trip.  A beautiful, natural escape with wild horses, beautiful beaches, wonderful walking trails and friendly guides - Cumberland was a complete joy of a day.  We hiked out to the beach right away and walked a couple miles finding some of the prettiest shells I've ever seen scattered in every direction.  I even learned how to find whelks under the sand, a particular treat.  As we walked inland to catch a guided tour, we found the remains of an amazing mansion from the Carnegie days on the island.   It's always fascinating to see the remnants of life gone by.  We wandered the trails, met some folks along the way and truly felt like we were away from it all.







All along, I've heard that the biggest joy of cruising is meeting the people and making new friends along the way.  I must say that I was feeling that maybe we just weren't good in that category but today told another story.  We saw again a couple we met briefly at the dock in Jeckyl Island and met several other cruising couples through the day.  Everyone is so different and so interesting, the sailing community is definitely made up of adventurous types!  So today we got to know Kev and Judith, Michael and Lori and Jerry and Kathy.   We're excited to continue these and other friendships as we continue on. Tomorrow it's on to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach, a favorite spot of ours over the years.  Can this be real?

No comments:

Post a Comment